Saturday, April 20, 2013

I'm back! with a magical treat!

Wow. It's been much too long--15 long months since I last posted, in ecstasies about Edinburgh. Since then, we moved to Durham, England (another ecstasy-inducing place, though of a different sort), and now back to the States. It's bittersweet--familiar, and "home," but without the things (and people!) we grew to love and appreciate in the UK.

But life goes on! and sometimes much too quickly, I might add. For those frenetic days, you can plan ahead and start out on a smug right foot. These overnight steel-cut oats are fantastic. and nutritious. and, best of all, insanely simple.

Right before you go to bed before one of those crazy days, take a small saucepan and fill it with 1/4 c. steel-cut oats and 1-1/2 c. mixture of water/milk (I use 1 c. unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 c. water). Bring to a boil. Add cinnamon to taste and about 1-1/2 c. fresh, chopped strawberries, turn off the heat, and put on the lid. Then just walk away. Go to bed! It will be perfectly cooked when you walk into your kitchen the next morning, and taste like strawberries and cream (the flavor reminded me of this strawberry dumpling recipe... but with no added sugar and the high-protein filling power of oats)--MAGIC.


Don't be deceived by the no-frills appearance. I'm operating on a web-cam here! (By the way, I had already eaten about half of it by the time I snapped a picture--1/4 c. of dry steel-cut oats goes a loooonnng way!)


It is absolutely delightful and keeps me full for hours. Do your crazy-day-self a favor! Who doesn't want to feel like a magician first thing in the morning?!

Notes: In this warmer weather, I prefer my oats at room temperature, but you could also simply turn on the burner the next morning for a few minutes to heat them through. Also, the above is for a single portion, you can double or triple to share--a great option for kids in the morning (especially with a drizzle of maple syrup or some honey on top). Ber-man loves them!

P.S. BERRIES AND CREAM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment